The SS Carbon Shipwreck at Compton Bay – PanoramicCategories: Compton, Landscape Prints, Panoramic Prints, Prints, West Wight
The Shipwreck S.S Carbon was a Steam Tug built in 1896 by Robert Craggs and Sons Ltd, of Middlesborough. She weighed 185 tons and measured 72ft long with a beam of 17ft. Originally named SS John Holloway. In 1900 she was owned by the British Admiralty, named the S.S Carbon, and was used as a Dockyard Berthing Tug, carrying the number C150. She was Sold in 1947 and was under tow south of the Isle of Wight heading for Southampton to be scrapped when, in the early hours of 10 November, 1947, the tow parted in heavy weather and the unmanned vessel was lost in the darkness. The SS Carbon is one of the most well known shipwrecks on the island.
Location: Compton Bay, Isle of Wight